Monday, October 27, 2014

Boulder, CO. - Nice place to be.

Boulder, CO - A River Runs Through It

After pacing my buddy the last 36.5 miles in the Heartland 100 ultra-marathon a couple of weeks ago, I stopped at my house overnight, and then headed west to Boulder, CO. A book group there had selected RUN as their novel for September. They asked if I would come for the club meeting where the book would be discussed. Honestly, it was a very flattering offer (and a first for me), so I said 'yes'. It also didn't hurt that the club meets in Colorado - one of my favorite places on earth.

Even though I was still hungover (in the legs) from the Heartland, I eschewed (after much consideration) bringing my Specialized Rockhopper 29er in favor of just taking running shoes. I knew my runs weren't going to be formidable, but I wanted to make sure that while I was in a running mecca, I would be running, not biking. NOTE: I am aware that Boulder is also a biking mecca.

The book club meeting went well. It was a pleasure to spend an evening with people who read, care about books and ideas, and are enthusiastic about knowledge for knowledge's sake. Several were also runners (or parents of runners). Wine and conversation flowed. I felt privileged to have been included. 

Running also went well. Before my first run at the ridiculously hilly (mountainous?) Chautauqua Park trails, I stopped by the Boulder Running Company store downtown. I had wanted to visit that store for many years. It was a little smaller than I had imagined, but choc full of running gear, maps, and things you don't see every day - like foot scanners (to show you what inserts to purchase). I was really thrilled to be there looking around. The staff was ridiculously nice and knowledgeable.


Like any good tourist, I picked up a BRC (Boulder Running Co) shirt patterned after the Colorado state logo. I also found a pair of Tifosi transition sunglasses that have already worked well in both sunny and shaded conditions. I'm a huge fan of the brand (and have had a pair that has held up well for the past 4 years). It was great to see such a good (and reasonably-priced) selection. Tifosi also makes sunglasses with reading lenses built in. I had never seen that, and I almost sprung for a pair of those as well. But ultimately, my wallet dictated that I just pick up the transitions.


Tifosi Transitions - looking pretty light in this pic.

I got a great run in with my host, Jeanne, the next day. We knocked out a reasonable 5 miles to, and then around, a lake. My legs had begun to recover, and it felt good to be out in the thin cool air.

While in the Boulder area, I got to see an excellent eastern European art exhibit at BMoCA, drank tea at the exquisite Dushanbe Tea House (a very unique place), and did a little poking around in the lovely nearby town of Louisville, Co. as well

Finally, I have to give a plug to Native Foods. After my run at Chautauqua, I did a quick search for vegan dining in Boulder. There were a good number of choices. I opted for Native Foods. While it is a chain, Native Foods is a truly vegan chain. Whenever I have eaten at one of their stores, the food has always been fantastic. And the one in Boulder is no exception. I actually ate there twice during my stay. Even if you aren't vegetarian or vegan, if you ever get the chance to try out one of these restaurants, you won't regret it.


As I left Colorado, I felt slightly less sad than my previous departure in August. This time, I know I will return soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment