Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Trail Marathon Training in the Winter

Running buddy Adrian - Post snow 10 miler


My running friend (a friend who runs but with whom I have never run), Mike Peck, made the comment that he does not do spring marathons because training for them in winter sucks (my word, not his). When I signed up for the Rockin' K trail marathon, I hadn't given that much thought. As the race approaches, however, finding consistent good running weather in Kansas is about as easy as finding a mountain in Florida. 

So one simply has to muddle through. And that's what I did last weekend with a couple of 10 mile runs in the snow-covered trails at Clinton North Shore. I had planned to do 16-20 miles on Sat. But when the snow arrived early, the three of us running the trails that morning began to wonder about the road conditions for the drive home. I also happen to have the world's steepest driveway, and didn't want to finish a long run and have to shovel immediately afterward. 

So we called it at 10 miles. A very fun 10 miles. That's not too bad since Clinton trails are pretty challenging. The next day, sort of unexpectedly, my running buddy, Adrian (who I do run with regularly), called and wanted to run. I suggested the Clinton trails again. And what followed were 10 blissed out miles of following footsteps through the woods.  We followed people footsteps until they disappeared after a few miles. The rest of the way out we trod upon the outlines left by rabbits, deer, and various other critters. It was truly spectacular.

While I have come to agree with Mike Peck that marathon training in the winter isn't the brightest idea, it does lend itself to some beautiful experiences that I would certainly have missed if I didn't need to get in the miles.

4 comments:

  1. I adore winter running, honestly. It's the summers I hate. That's the only thing I don't love about The Hawk, honestly. To train for it, I have to run at Clinton in snake/cobweb season. And I'm a wimp with those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to agree to disagree. While I hate spider webs, ticks, mites, and poison ivy, I'll take running in shorts and a T over the weird over-heated (or frozen) runs of the winter. It always seems there are places on your body that are way too hot or cold during winter runs. Also, as you get older (and this is where life sucks a bit - but it beats the alternative), your joints and tendons don't seem to warm up nearly as quickly. Cold weather hurts a bit more. And I will confess to loving disgusting sweat-filled runs.

    If I could pick a season, it would, of course, be fall. With perfect temps, mean plants and animals going into dormancy, fall is the time of year to pack on the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree that fall is the best of seasons. Summer though, it really is 90% the snakes. I've gone weeks at a time without running at Clinton just because I stepped on a stick that I thought was a snake. They freak me out.

      Delete
  3. I didn't list snakes, but they freak me out as well. The river trails have a lot of garters. Clinton always seems to have the copperheads. So I usually run the river.

    ReplyDelete