Saturday, August 1, 2015

Colorado - Summer

I drove out to Colorado last week. My friends Adrian and Tara had rented a place in Frisco with other friends. And, since their friends were leaving a couple of days early, they suggested I come out and take the vacant room. Since I had planned to head to CO at some point this summer, I took it as a sign and packed my bags. I also rented a place in Keystone for two days after I leaving the condo in Frisco.

The trip was to be the first long drive for the new (to me) Honda Ridgeline. Even though it is a seriously new vehicle (2013), I didn't really trust it until it performed perfectly on the trip.

The drive across Kansas was as uneventful as you would imagine a drive across Kansas to be. Still, though, I found a lot of beauty in the flint hills and then the plains of western Kansas. No mountains impede the view;-)

Kansas - Wide Open Spaces

Just outside of Denver, after a beautiful day of driving, I encountered one of the worst super cells I've ever experienced. Ten minutes of absolutely white knuckle driving ensued, as I-70 traffic slowed from 75mph down to about 20mph, with all cars and truck flashing hazard lights so they'd be visible.

Super Cell in the Distance

The rest of the drive was mercifully uneventful with the exception of Denver's perpetually shitty traffic. Denver's traffic is like LA's, except without any reason for it. The town doesn't have a massive population. Flow should be the city government's priority. And the traffic situation isn't new. It has been this way for years. I have driven through construction in seemingly the same places for at least three years. I can't figure out why the city doesn't seem to be able to fix the highways. Anyway... minor rant over.

The Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne/Breckenridge/Keystone area is a fantastic place to spend time in the summer. Opportunities abound for hiking, biking, and running. The last time I had been in the area, I had my 29er mountain bike. But for this trip I brought my road bike. The area is just lousy with paved bike and running paths between the towns and resorts. I was able to do rides between Frisco and Breck, and between Keystone and Breck on several occasions with minimal exposure to any road traffic. On my second to last day in the area, I drove out to the legendary ultra-running and biking town of Leadville. I did a quick 12-ish mile ride on the beautiful circumferential (around Leadville) Mineral Belt Trail before rain started to fall (in a storm that would last the rest of the day). 

The Mineral Belt Trail goes up for about 6 miles, and then down for the same distance. If you've been in the area for a few days, it won't leave you gassed if you're biking or running it. It is at a good elevation, but the grade isn't too tough. And the scenery will pay you dividends for your efforts.


Mineral Belt Trail before the rains

Following the trail through an old mine near the top of the mountain

A great post-ride salad and coffee at the Tennessee Pass Cafe in Leadville

During my stay I also took a couple of hikes and did a little bit of trail running. The first hike was up Mt. Royal - a peak that overlooks Frisco. Three friends and I climbed it on my second day in town. While not particularly tall, Royal was certainly steep - especially near the summit. I was surprised to find myself somewhat winded during the descent - though since my buddy Adrian and I had raced full out up the steepest portion of the climb, maybe being breathless had less to do with acclimatization, and more to do with stupidity. 

The second hike I did was on the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) heading south from the Loveland Pass. I brought an apple, a Hammer Nutrition Banana gel packet, and a couple of water bottles, 1 filled with Skratch - my favorite natural energy powdered performance drink mix. I planned to hike out for 2-3 hours and then back. I made it almost to Grizzly (a near 14er) before deciding that I had started a bit too late in the day to do the climb (which would've been my third 13er of the day). I had gotten a late start because I had spent the morning biking over to Breck and wandering through a really good outside art fair that the city was hosting.

Anyway, I made my way to a pile of rocks near the summit of the second mountain I had climbed, found a spot to sit that overlooked an absolutely pristine valley - no roads, houses, power lines. I drank some water, had and apple, and watched marmots at play among the boulders and wildflowers. Throughout the hike, whenever I was on a flat or slight up or downhill, I strapped my pack tighter and did a bit of trail running. I was at a higher altitude than I had been for most of the trip, but my energy levels were great. Running felt good. It was a truly lovely experience. It was with quite a bit of regret that I finally made my way back down the slope and then another half mile walking along the highway to where I had parked the truck.

Wildflowers so pretty that they looked like bouquets along the CDT


A valley view from near the top of a peak on the CDT

As always, Colorado never seems to disappoint. Whether I'm hiking or biking, in the mountains near Frisco or the spending time in the high deserts near Grand Junction, I always leave in awe of this magnificent part of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment