Tuesday, May 17, 2016

My Current Favorite Podcasts - You'll Love Them!!!

In life, things change. What can I say? Last year I listed a bunch of podcasts that I listen to when I run, drive, or simply want to turn off the computer and spend time interacting with the world through sound waves rather than the visible spectrum of light. Currently, there are 4-5 podcasts that I listen to and never miss an episode. There are others that are less important to me, but still enjoyable. Since my last podcast post, my favorites have evolved. Many of the those to which I used to listen are no longer on my playlist. I now regularly listen to Hang Up and Listen, It's Only a Game, Waking Up With Sam Harris, The Enormocast, Henry and Heidi. The Sharp End (a podcast that would've made my favorites if there were more episodes) as well as some BBC podcasts and (the excellent) Inside Europe. But here now are the podcasts I never miss (and can't get enough of) in descending order:


Free Pizza For Life is a podcast that began with Chris Clavin, the founder of Plan-It-X records simply reading his book of the same name. Once the fantastic podcast of his flawed, touching, and oddly compelling book ended, he continued to read other stories written by friends as well as from his own journals. It's strange, I realize, to have a podcast unrelated to running topping my list, but the show is simply wonderful. I was taken with it enough to contribute through crowd-funding to another book project he was working on. Give it a listen. You will not regret it.



I don't recall how I stumbled onto the Mountain Meister podcast, but I'm glad I did. In each episode, host Ben Schenck interviews one of a wide variety of athletes, adventurers, explorers, daredevils, and outliers of humanity. His style is friendly, and his questions, while always good, sometimes verge on great, as he goes beyond the comfort zone to dig into the psyche of what drives his guests. I contribute $ to this podcast, and I look forward to each new episode.




I discovered the Dirtbag Diaries through Mountain Meister. And much like the preceding, I find that I wait with anticipation for each new episode. The Dirtbag Diaries are much more story-focused than Mountain Meister. But the oeuvre is the same. It would be hard to like one of the podcasts without liking the other. Created by Fitz Cahall, the podcast is always looking for new stories. If you have one to contribute, check out their site for information. If you just want to listen, sit back and enjoy - there is a large library of episodes from which to choose. Lose yourself listening to the life of adventure even while on an adventure of your own on the trails.



Very Bad Wizards is a podcast I've listed to for quite some time. In each episode, the hosts, Tamler Sommers, a philosopher, and David Pizarro, a psychologist have a conversation about a topic of great importance or of no importance. It almost doesn't matter. The conversations, and the guests they bring in to join them in discourse, are thoroughly enjoyable. The tone of the show is so inviting that learning happens without the listener even being aware of it.




Lexicon Valley will hold your attention and get the neurons firing. The show, which I've described in previous blogs, is oddly compelling. Where do the words and phrases we use originate? Listen to Lexicon Valley and you will find out in a funny and insightful half hour.


That's all I have to recommend right now. Happy Running. Later gator!




No comments:

Post a Comment