Friday, August 31, 2018

Catharsis of Ultra-Running and Being Outside


Blanca Peak


I read an article in the March issue of Outside about a skier, Adam Roberts, and his struggles with mental illness until his death in an avalanche in 2016. From the article, skiing seemed to be one of the few refuges that allowed a restless mind to come into full focus on a task at hand. Being outdoors in the mountains, seeing their beauty, experiencing their challenges and rewards, all served to bring a purpose and instill meaning in a life that was otherwise full of doubts. The piece, entitled, The Boy Who Lived On Edges, got me thinking about how much being outdoors, experiencing nature, and using one's body, have helped me and a large number of my friends overcome obstacles in life - from depression to divorce.

A common theme among ultra runners is that many started running the longer distances after a traumatic event. On
several runs with friends, we have talked about how the end of a relationship led to big miles for more runners we know than can be counted using just fingers. And this seems true for other outdoor friends as well. Many have taken up cycling, mountain climbing, or other outside endeavors after breakups.

Being outdoors and challenging oneself, perhaps offers both some sort of animal-brain instinctual solace coupled with building self-esteem. Interacting with nature creates an awareness of limitations. But often, through repeated exposure, the limitations transform into challenges to be faced and then overcome. For a time, for instance, early on in my trail-running life, going for over 3 hours seemed impossible. Now, running a 24 hour race seems all too possible (though I have little to no desire to actually undertake that challenge ;-).

Near Barranco Wall - Kili
When I was on a mountain trip recently, I met a woman whose divorce had led her to try climbing. Heading off to be challenged by assorted peaks around the globe had revealed both a talent and a passion for high-altitide climbing that she had not known she had.

I have struggled with depression for most of my life. I'm also a bit OCD with a sprinkling of ADD and anxiety for good measure. I took Zoloft for a few years to get depression under control. For the rest I've mainly tried intermittent therapy, writing, reading, and meditation. And, while all of those activities have worked to some degree, nothing has ever performed as well as simply getting outside. For me, I relish physicality in nature - running, biking, kayaking, climbing, hiking (you name it). If it is something particularly challenging, so much the better.

But even during times when I'm doing an easy hike or just camping, the act of being in nature nurtures my spirit. Viewing a pretty vista during the day, or seeing a couple of shooting stars in the high desert at night can better my outlook on life for a month.

Breaking camp on Ranier
And in having these interactions with nature, it is almost impossible not to meet new people who share the same passions, needs, goals, and experiences. Since embracing a life dedicated to undertaking as many outdoor activities as possible, I have (counterintuitively) made more friends than I did in the first two-thirds of my life. Even though many of the experiences are solitary, hiking, biking, running, and climbing have brought wonderful new people into my life through clubs, training, and travel. These people have become welcome additions to my close-knit circle of friends.

And with that, my ramblings for today are complete. Keep running (and do as much of it on trails as possible).

Here are a couple of links to friends' blogs about a recent climb of Blanca Peak in Colorado: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=18903 https://ruberuns.blogspot.com/2018/08/blanca-hawks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment