Monday, May 19, 2014

Rehab, Rolling & Running

I have finally turned the corner toward better hamstring health. And it only took seven months of trying to ignore and run through the problem. I've been doing a lot of pulse-stretching exercises, coupled (or trio-ed) with hamstring and glute strengthening. The combination almost immediately resulted in pain cessation while walking, standing, sitting, sleeping - all of which had seemed too permanently in place prior to starting the regimen.  But pain-free running took a bit longer. But by adding more exercises and by steadfastly adhering to the prescribed methodology, little by little, the pain began to subside.  I am not completely without pain now, but it has diminished to the point that I can increase speed on longer (9-10ish mile) runs without fear of having to run through pain.

The other item my PT went over was how to correctly roll out an IT. I had been simply rolling it an not getting a lot of positive results. He showed me that I needed to roll from base of hip bone to top of knee bone on my side first for a minute. And then follow that up by rolling at an angle over the outer corner of my quad - again going from just below the hip bone to just above the knee bone.  While I've never really had IT issues, the little twinges I had been feeling in it as my running form had tried to accommodate my hamstring issues, finally went away.

Last week was a great week for running. I got in a 10 miler on the levee, and then had some speed work 4 mile runs and a couple of 10Ks.  On Sat and Sun I hit the river trails, but popped out at the far end to add another half mile or so and enjoy the wide open country view. The first day I ran the 9+ mi loop alone, and on Sunday with my buddy Adrian, who (for once) didn't smoke me over the last couple of miles. Either I'm getting faster again, or his training is lacking - or a combination of both. The most interesting animal experience was surprising a wild turkey. The birds are absolutely gorgeous. It is always good to see them walking about in the brush.

Next time I'm out, I'll take a camera and post some pics of the different areas of the trails. I have been meaning to do that for some time, but keep forgetting and leaving my iPhone in the car.

Finally, I'm starting to plan a running and sightseeing trip through CO, UT and northern NV. the plan is to hit Arches, Bryce Canyon, Dunes, Moab, Reno/Tahoe, etc...  I'll have more on that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment