Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Rambling While We Have Great Weather

I'm reading two books at the moment. Savage Harvest is about the disappearance of Michael Rockefeller in New Guinea in 1961. Since the first few pages reveal what happened, it is not a spoiler to mention that this son of privilege met his demise by being eaten by cannibals. And, as horrible as that sounds, the story behind what led up to his death is one of the better anthropological reads you may find. The second book is AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. The book is a log of what the narrator (who goes by the trail name, AWOL) encountered on a thru hike of the 2,000 + mile trail. That I happen to be reading two books about exploration/adventure at the same time is mere coincidence. The dissimilarities of the two books - both loosely in the same category - somehow please me. One needn't travel far and wide to have an adventure. Adventures requiring self-reliance can be had simply by stepping outside and hitting a trail - though some adventures may be a bit less challenging than others.

I've had a decent week of running. I knocked out the river trail loop with my running buddy, Adrian in 79 min on Saturday. Sunday I popped out for a short run. Monday featured my usual road/trail 6 mile run. Then Tuesday I headed out for the river loop again. Just as I hit 4 miles, I started to feel a bit ill. The tendons in my right leg also stiffened about the same time. And my hamstring began to throb. I knew I was effed. I popped off the trail and onto the nearby levee. I spent the next hour alternately walking and jogging slowly back to my car. By evening the general malaise had evaporated. I smacked some tennis balls with a friend on Lawrence's newly lit courts.

Today will feature an a.m. hour run, a round of disc golf in the late afternoon, and then some tennis this evening. Tomorrow cold weather is again supposed to descend upon the region. So I feel the need to get in as much enjoyment of the 70F day we are experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment