Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Tentative Steps

I've finally had a couple of longer runs involving trails. These have been the first two runs on surfaces that vary since the heel/tendon injury three weeks ago. After the (very odd) snapping sound and pain in my heel on the Clinton North Shore trails, I took six days off from running. I visited my doctor. I biked on my trainer (no pain). I walked slowly and carefully. I then started back on treadmills using only road shoes. A few days later, I added a few road miles to the workout.

Then, last weekend, I put on my road shoes and popped out to the levee near the Kaw river. I did about 5 miles on the levee and a couple on the trails (gentler than Clinton, but still trails). I experienced no issues. I biked and did another, shorter run yesterday as well. Still not issues.

I will confess to being a bit scared to put on my trail shoes again. The shoes I was wearing when the pop happened are the ones I did the 36 mi pacing run in last year. So they should be safe. But something about the injury has me a bit gun shy about lacing them up for a longer run.

The weather is supposed to be fantastic later this week. The plan is to get out on the trails and see how it goes. That's pretty much standard for all runs anyway, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment