Thursday, February 5, 2015

More Self-Involved Verbiage About Running (of course!)

Coleen wrassilin' a gator lying next to the trail.


The week of running has been challenging and fun. I've gotten in a couple of near 10 milers (which were both supposed to be over 10, but were cut a bit short due to measurement in the first case, and mud in the second). The highlights were a seriously strenuous run that got faster each mile (run with my buddy, Adrian), and a Tuesday run with the indomitable ultra-runner, trainer, and coach, Coleen Shaw-Voeks (Voeks rhymes with cakes). 

I hadn't run with Coleen in quite a while. We set off to do the full loop on the River Trails with the sand/sugar loop added. I was stoked for the run in the middle of the afternoon. What we encountered, however, was mud that was too much to deal with on a 10+ mi route. We didn't want to damage the trails - there were huge ruts where cyclists had gone through - so after taking the bailout on the sand loop (about 4 miles in), we crossed the field that lays between the out and inbound trails and popped onto the nearby levee. The top of the levee was the muddiest I'd ever seen it as well. So we each took a side and ran for another mile or so in the heavier gravel that lines the edges of the levee's surface. At the end of the levee, we exited onto the gravel road, and ran that back into town. All in all, it was a good run. We were both surprised by the amount of mud we have to slog through. The run included a couple of stops to lose some clothing and to take pictures with an odd, and new wooden alligator that someone had left next to the trail. It is always interesting to see how the trail changes. And the gator is a welcome addition that I hope will remain for a long time.

On Wednesday, snow fell and the winds howled. My plans for a day of rest were co-opted by my disc gold buddies wanting to play a round in the white stuff. Hmmm... didn't sound very smart. So, of course, I joined them. And, of course, there was no one - literally no one, else on the course or in the park. It was cold and blustery. A couple of us had our discs fall into streams. They immediately turned into blocks of ice. I wish I had a picture of the excursion. If (or rather when) we do it again, I'll make sure to get a record of the event.

That's it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment