Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Reading While Running - AWOL on the Appalachian Trail

The following 2 paragraphs are a review of a book I posted on GoodReads. If you are looking for something to listen to (on your iDevice) as you run, AWOL is a good choice. Here then, is my review:



Instead of reading this work, I did something that I found more in keeping with the topic - I listened to the audio book as I ran. As a reader and writer who runs, I am always looking for audio-books, blogs, podcasts that I can listen to while running. It is a bit harder to find good listening material for training runs than one would think. For instance, works by Michael Chabon (a writer I love), are terrible to use in long runs. Why? Because the require listening on a different level. Sometimes not a lot happens. There are too many characters. Descriptions are too long. In short, books that require too much focus get lost in the distractions of thoughts, pains, pacing, and scenery that accompany a run. Books that work well usually feature few characters, a lot of action, or, conversely, a simple zen-like meditation. Jon Krakauer is probably my favorite author to listen to while running. Man climbing mountain. Man surviving in nature. Those seem to be good, easy concepts that can hold the attention of a runner, and blend into his/her thoughts as physical and mental exertions compete for primacy. 

Awol (aka David Miler) On The Appalachian Trail, is a beautifully written book. It moves along at a hiking pace. As he progresses along the trail, he shares his growing knowledge of trail etiquette and equipment needed for a successful outcome. As a reader who runs, I fell into his mindset, putting away my iPad shuffle after each run, only to pick it up early the next day and head out the door - just as Awol did - to face many more miles. The book was much more than a light diversion, however. Miller's accounts of what could have been mundane - a nod from another hiker on the trail, blister treatment, a ground-nesting bird, finding 'trail magic - are actually the highlights of the story. Like good running books, he makes the hike so much more than right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot, the end. As a reader/listener, I finished the book wanting to go backpacking, and hoping to have even a glimmer of Awol's experiences (both good and bad) on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment