Thursday, June 19, 2014

And Now for Something (Almost) Completely Different - Movies

Instead of writing exclusively about running today, I think I want to write about movies - and yes, some of them will be running movies. I'll make some short lists and then see if they spark conversation. One thing I have noticed is that people rarely respond in the comment section below posts on Blogspot/Blogger. It is much more common to get a response to a blog posting via email, twitter, or fb. I don't know why, but that seems to be the preferred method. And I'm not being critical. I find that I too, usually respond to blogs via fb or twitter. So I understand.

Now a few movie lists:

My favorite movies of all time (Notice how I didn't say 'best'. There is a difference.):

1) - (Tie) Diva, and Bette Blue - Both are fantastic French films that hold up (at least for me) to many viewings.
2) - La Promesse - A Belgian movie from 1996. A moving, well-written and shot flick.
3) - Y Tu Mama Tambien - My favorite Mexican movie. It brought back a lot of memories of the time I spent in Mexico as a kid.
4) - Lost in Translation - The first American film on the list (and only one of a very few that I think are great). An American in Tokyo struggles to deal with language, cultural, and time zone issues.
5) -.Backbeat - A beautiful understated film about Stuart Sutcliffe in Hamburg, and his relationship to John Lennon and Astrid Kirchher.
6) - Pauline at the Beach - My favorite film by the brilliant director, Eric Rohmer
7) - Douches Froides (Cold Showers) -what can I say? I obviously love French films.
8) - Welcome - About an illegal Iraqi refugee in Calais, befriended by a swim instructor, as he plans to swim across the Channel to England.
9 - Ordinary People - Fantastic cast, and great adaptation of a novel.
10- Three Kings - A shocker, I know. But what a fantastic movie that takes place during the first gulf war.

My favorite running movies: Sadly, I don't think there are too many I like (although there are some very good documentaries):

1) - Chariots of Fire - Brilliant. I cannot think of a better running movie. It came close to making my all-time favorites list as well.
2) - Without Limits - About Prefontaine
3) - Prefontaine - About Prefontaine

I'm not a big fan of most other running movies. The German movie, The Robber, might make the cut. It is about a gifted marathon runner who robs banks.

4) - Unbreakable - What the heck. I'll throw in one (of many) fine documentaries. This covers the 2010 running of the Western States 100. It is a little hard to find.  But if you are thinking of running some ultra distance races, this is one inspirational film.

I'll take any reader suggestions for other running films. I've heard great things about Personal Best, but have not seen it.

Finally, my favorite sports films. Everyone always lists the obvious movies as the best; Eight Men Out, Raging Bull, Remember the Titans, Field of Dreams, etc... And that's hard not to do. So rather than give you a list of movies you can look up on any old list, I'll try to give you one item you should search out that will inspire you to new heights. And this will never appear on the sports movie lists (mainly because it is documentary in nature):

1) Banff Mountain Film Festival - Wherever you live, this compendium of riveting shorter films will come to a town near you at some point each year. Depending on location, the series of films will run from one to three days (with no repeat films). This is a must see for runners, hikers, cross and mtn bikers, kayakers, climbers, B.A.S.E. jumpers, etc... It is worth every cent you will spend on a ticket. Check out the schedule here: http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/

So there is my list of movies. I have other categories I'll throw down later - like my favorite funny movies (Raising Arizona is on the list), fav TV shows, fav cable series.  But for now, this should suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment