Sunday, June 22, 2014

Three Product Reviews

Outdoor Research Hat, Mizuno Wave Inspire 10s, Camelbak Hand Bottle

On Saturday, I did something I don't do on a regular basis. Two things, actually. First I went on a road run (I normally run trails), and second, I used three new pieces of equipment. 

I picked up my 5th pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires last week. The other pairs (a series 4, a 6, and two pairs of series 8) have performed remarkably well for me over the past several years. When I first stumbled onto the Mizuno brand, I wasn't sure about how good they would be. But I really liked the first couple of pairs I purchased. After such good results with the road shoes, I even dumped my Brooks Cascadias for a pair of Mizuno Wave Ascend 6 trail shoes. I ran a trail marathon in that pair and an ultra in my Wave Inspire 8s last year. The shoes held up perfectly, with a lot of support when needed, and little (if any) foot movement within the shoe. I can honestly report that I have never even had a blister in a pair of Mizunos. 

If you are a regular reader of this blog (formerly www.Flyoverstatements.blogspot.com), you will know that several months ago I switched my main brand of trail shoes to Salomon (SpeedCross 3s, actually). I mainly made the switch because the SpeedCross models are lighter and a bit more flexible than the Ascends. The Ascends are what I would choose for more rugged courses with sharper rocks. The SpeedCross work better for me for daily trail use. 

Anyway, I popped out for a ten mile run in the early morning yesterday. The Inspire 10s performed perfectly, as I expected they would. In fact, they somehow seemed quite a bit lighter and had more support through the mid-foot than previous models. The upper fabric is only one layer, which cools the shoe off and gives it a really comfortable sock-like feel. The seeming lighter weight also may come from a thinner-looking sole, as well as from the application of decal logos rather than sewn-on extra layers. The decal application is something I have never seen before in everyday road shoes. It is exciting to see that Mizuno has thought creatively about ways to improve the Wave Inspire series of shoes. The new 10s aren't just a change of colors. Their lighter-weight, support, breathe-ability, and removal of extra stitching and fabric for logos all work together to make these shoes a true step forward in the line.

Now on to bottles. I picked up the new Camelbak hand-carry water bottle system because my old Ultimate Direction bottle was getting a bit gross in the nozzle. I've washed and brushed the lid/nozzle many times, but after several years of hard use, I felt I should probably get a new bottle. In thinking about what I wanted, I decided to try a different brand. I wanted two things that I wasn't getting with the Ultimate Direction set up. 1) I wanted a larger bottle. And 2) I wanted a bottle that would keep drinks cooler longer. The Camelbak I chose is both larger than the Ultimate Direction model I use, and it has a double wall system that claims to keep liquids cool twice as long as a regular bottle. It also has a different nozzle system that allows more liquid to come out at once. I've now used the Camelbak on six long runs and can report that it does seem to keep liquids cooler. The double liner in the BPA-free bottle works well. Of course on long runs, ultimately, the liquids will hit the temperature of the air and your hand in either bottle. I love having the extra capacity. And I prefer the nozzle on the Camelbak. The one thing I like better on the Ultimate Direction hand-held is that it's carrier completely encompasses the bottle, so your hand is always touching the fabric (neoprene?), and not clammy plastic. The Camelbak's carrier/handle puts the user's hand in direct contact with the plastic bottle. While it is not a make or break issue, Camelbak would greatly improve this product by creating a handle that keeps skin to plastic contact at a minimum. This morning I took both hand-helds out on a long hot run. Even though I confess to completely preferring the Camelbak to the Ultimate Direction, I was glad to have both. Hot weather is no joke. Make sure you bring adequate fluids with you for any run you undertake.

Just a quick additional note: I also own a Nathan hydration pack as well as several different belt water systems. I mainly use the hand-held bottles, however. Not having to have extra weight strapped to me is completely worth the initial oddness of running with something in my hand.

Finally hats. Over the years I have run bareheaded, in baseball caps, and in race-shwag running hats. After losing one of my favorite hats in an unfortunate incident on the trails the other day, I decided to invest in a proper wicking hat. To be honest, I didn't know exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted something light, breathe-able, quick-drying, and not too expensive. It also couldn't be too ugly. After looking through offerings at Running Warehouse as well as a couple of running and outdoor stores in Lawrence, KS, I settled on the hat by Outdoor Research. You can't really tell from the picture above, but the hat is made up of a full layer of light-weight black mesh with a light cloth piece that extends from the bill to the back over the center of the cap. The bill is solid with a slight padded layer under wicking fabric. I've now used it on a long road run as well as a trail run. As stupid as I feel writing about 'hat performance,' the OR cap really is a nice accoutrement.  It doesn't get crazy heavy with sweat like some of my other hats. It also hasn't yet created the ongoing waterfall of perspiration off of its bill as has every hat I've ever used. I have a need to keep the sun off me as much as possible, having a predisposition to skin cancer. The OR cap is now in my regular running gear rotation. 

So there are three reviews of some gear that I feel fortunate to have chosen. If something changes in the near or long term, I'll let you know.

37 miles last week. I'm hoping for about the same this week before upping in July. Whatever distance you go, keep running and enjoying your time on the trails or the roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment