Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Highlights


April release of my novel, RUN

I will best remember 2014 for three things; 1) the release of my first novel, RUN, 2) an epic road trip out west, and 3) ultra marathon pacing. Any of the three would be enough to have made 2014 a decent year. Combined, however, they made the year (as the Chinese proverb would say) interesting.

Publishing the book was one of the scarier things I have ever done. Books really reveal a lot about an author. Fiction is drawn from a very personal well of thoughts, feelings, actions and emotions. Even if it is 'made up', it still is the product of one's mind. It hadn't occurred to me how exposed I would feel once I made it available to the public in paperback and on Kindle. Eight months down the line I'm feeling much better about it.

Initially I considered finding an agent and a publisher, but instead opted to simply put it out and move on to my next novel - working title, BASE. I don't know if self-publishing was the correct decision, but it did allow me to stop worrying about business and continue writing. RUN has gotten some nice write-ups on blogs, Amazon, and Goodreads. So I'm pretty happy with how it has done. I'm less interested in sales than in simply having people read and enjoy it.

If you are reading this and want to read the novel you can borrow it for free (if you arean Amazon Prime member or subscribe to Kindle Unlimited). Or you can order either paperback or Kindle editions here http://www.amazon.com/Run-Allen-Levine/dp/1497449146 . Either way, if you read it (even if you don't like it), please write a review and post it on a blog, Amazon, Goodreads, etc..., because indie books live and die by the review. Thank you!


Shoe of the Year - Mizuno Wave Ascend 10


Before I go on to the other topics of travel and ultra running, I want to take a moment and give a review of a road shoe. I know, I know. I am mainly a trail runner. But I do run on roads from time to time, and certainly have my shoe preferences. The Mizuno Wave Ascend 10 model was the best version of the Ascends I've ever used. Having the logo adhered rather than stitched was a welcome change. The cloth uppers were weak and wore out quickly - many other runners commented on this matter in product reviews on sites like Running Warehouse. The criticism of the uppers and the less-cushioned soles was valid. But you know what? I found that I liked the road feel that I got from the soles. Since I'm not a big heel striker, the firmness didn't bother me. As usual, the fit was flawless. Ive owned five pairs of Ascends over the years, and have never experienced a single blister. Now if they could just use slightly stronger fabric...



New Trails at Rock Chalk Park

One more quick note: Lawrence, KS has some lovely new trails (actually sort of crushed asphalt) dedicated to runners and walkers. They are soft, hilly, gravel road-esque, and fun to run. It is possible to go 3-5 miles without repeating much of the course. Trail plusses; there are no dogs, no traffic, easy access from good running routes, and close to the massive (and free) Sports Pavilion where post-run weights can be accessed.



Glamping in Moab

It had been many years since I took a true road trip. In September I drove my friend, Mark, back to his home and farm animal sanctuary outside of Reno, NV. On the way, we visited the Colorado National Monument, Arches, Moab, Canyonlands, and Bryce Canyon. The biggest surprise for me was the immensity of Canyonlands. The national park is, in so many ways more impressive than Arches, and yet is somehow overlooked. Bryce Canyon was as stunning as advertised. Moab was fun - I would love to go back and spend more time there. I brought my bike for Moab as well as Park City, UT on my way home. 


My Specialized Rock Hopper 29' just chillin' near Moab

My buddy, Mark, not really trusting the rail at Bryce Canyon

The best run I had of 2014 took place on the 8 mile Fairyland Loop at Bryce Canyon. Lots of climbing and a couple of spots where the ground fell away on both sides made for a challenging and exhilarating workout. The night before I had been trepidatious. But I navigated the course at a speed that was much faster than I had anticipated. Running surrounded by beauty on such a monumental scale made the run more enjoyable than anything else I did in 2014. 

Note: Bryce Canyon Lodge has a fantastic restaurant that can knock out excellent vegan dishes. 

Canyonlands - Awesome Park (Correct use of the word, 'awesome')


Atop the museum in Reno with Mark and Dianne

Bonneville Salt Flats On The Way Home

Before biking down the mountain in Park City, UT


After
Heartland 100 - 36 miles from the finish
I paced my friend, Paul, in two races in 2014. He and I ran the last 25 miles together in the Hawk 100. Then, a month later, I ran the last 36 miles of the Heartland 100 with him. I write 'ran', but really pacing for many in these distances is a combination of run, shuffle, walk, repeat. Both races were difficult in their own way. Not so much for me, but for Paul. It was interesting to see firsthand, the peaks and valleys competitors go through as they work to complete hundred mile races. Honestly, I loved pacing and will gladly do it again in the future.

Boulder

My last trip of the year was hanging out in Boulder, CO with a book club that had read my novel. I had a great time running, visiting museums, stores, restaurants, and spending time with friends (old and new). In the past year I have come to really love Colorado. I'm not a winter sport sort of person. But the state has much to offer in the other seasons as well. In 2015 I plan to return numerous times to road bike, mountain bike, and run in that wonderful place.

So that's a quick summary of the high points of 2014. 2015 should bring more travel in the EU as well as a return trip west. My resolution is to continue to run, bike, read and write in many more interesting places.  So until next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment