Friday, December 5, 2014

Running, Partying, Reading, and a Self-Serving Holiday Gift Idea

And thus ended another couple of typical weeks of Fall/Winter weather in Kansas. . .

Fluctuating temperatures from the teens to the upper 60's made running both challenging and fun. 100% of the 65 miles undertaken over the past 10 days were run on trails - something I don't think I had actually accomplished this (or any other year). Normally there are road miles in there somewhere. But with the addition of the trails behind the new gargantuan Rock Chalk Park / Sports Pavilion Lawrence facilities, I find less and less need to run on the roads - even near my home. When the place first opened, I would run over, run the trails, and then run home. But I have a real fondness for the new trails, and find that I would rather have all of my run on them. So, lately I've been driving over, so I can have the extra 4 miles of travel on the trails. The short, brutal hills make them an excellent part of my weekly training.

I will post pictures of the new trails soon (I keep meaning to do that).

I finished another couple of books this week. Jon Krakauer's, Eiger Dreams, did not disappoint. I don't know what it is about his writing that I find so compelling, but in almost all of his books, he makes me care about mountain and rock climbing (and those who do it) a lot. I also finished his book, Three Cups of Deceit. You do not have to have read (the massively fictional) Three Cups of Tea, to enjoy Krakauer's takedown of the work. It is a short, powerful book that will leave you shaking your head at how a good idea could go so terribly wrong.

I attended the Sunflower Outdoors and Bike party last night. There was so much beer and wine flowing at that shindig that I doubt many attendees will be doing too much biking or running this a.m. (other than to a cupboard for some ibuprofen). But it is was great to be there and to see a special business like Sunflower finish up another successful year. There is a fantastic blog about getting to, and enjoying the party, by cycling great, Steve Tilford, that can be read here http://stevetilford.com/2014/12/05/winter-mileage-rule-sunflower-bicycles-annual-holiday-party/ It is worth a read - spoiler alert - he biked over from Topeka. Nice!

I'm taking the day off from running. I'll finish some work-related emails and calls, and then probably hit my sauna (I know I'm lucky to have one) and read a biography of Rimbaud that has captivated me since I started it a couple of days ago. I'm not a big fan of poetry, but I may have to become one.

I'll be out with the Lawrence Trail Hawks for a 15 mi Clinton North Shore run tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. Cold and mud should make for an especially fun run. If any reader wants to join in, just shoot a message to me and I'll get you driving directions.

Finally, there is a new review of my novel, RUN, at Honest Indie Book Reviews. The novel could make a good Christmas stocking stuffer (or Hannukah present) for the runner in your life. ;^) honestindiebookreviews.wordpress.com - Review


To see more review or to get the paperback or Kindle editions, click below:
http://www.amazon.com/Run-Allen-Levine/dp/1497449146/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417796885&sr=8-1&keywords=allen+levine

I promise to have trail pics next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment