Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Injury and a Gratuitous Pic of My Cat, Lucas

So something popped in my ankle on a run last Saturday. Initially I thought I'd blown an Achilles. A reach down the back of my leg proved that was not the case. But some tendon or ligament between the back of my heel and my ankle bones had 'sploded (as Ricky Ricardo would say). A quick visit to the doctor yesterday to make sure there wasn't a stress fracture in the area as well confirmed the weirdness of the injury. Only very slight swelling. No issues with flex forward or backward. No discoloration. I just experience severe pain in the ankle when I cross my legs - like when you sit in a chair and cross your leg to tie a shoe. Really strange. It is diminishing day by day. So I've been biking in the interim. I also plan to avoid Clinton N Shore for a couple of months. There are trails (plenty of them) that torque the feet to a lesser degree.

Injuries suck. And this one, as I've ramped up miles to be able to have my pick of ultras next year - Big Bend, and a 3 day race in Canada leading in my imagination - is really happening at an inopportune time. But I've got to say that I've been relatively injury-free (other than a permanently painful hamstring) over the many years of running I've had. And since I can bike, swim, and will be able of kind of trot in a few days, this really isn't so bad.






2 comments:

  1. Glad that it doesn't seem to be serious! I'll miss seeing you on the North Shore trails for a while though. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I'm getting ready to ride on my trainer at the moment. It is a nice change to use some of the other equipment I own when it is too cold (rather than just the treadmill). At least I keep telling myself that it is...

    ReplyDelete