Friday, December 12, 2014

My Favorite Books of 2014


My reading habits are a bit eclectic. If you put a gun to my head (but please don't), I'd say that I prefer contemporary fiction to any other genre. I normally eschew romance, western, sci-fi, fantasy, and almost all mysteries. For non-fiction, I prefer biographies or adventure/travel writing (either historical or contemporary). Sometimes science or pseudo-science can find a place in my library as well. To find non-fiction that I do not like, you simply have to type in phrases like self-help, pop psychology, and business biographies. Here's how to find the worst non-fiction available: if you see a lot of people dressed in suits in an airport all reading the same thing, chances are it is some bullshit 'how to sell more effectively' psychobabble that biz types love to read and then discuss - somehow this makes them feel as if they are bettering themselves and at the same time it makes them 'readers'. I will confess to falling into this rabbit hole on occasion - it is hard not to do so. I did once this year, with the book, Outliers. Sadly, the book's premise that 10,000 hours can make you an expert at whatever you seek to do (as long as there is some innate talent, perhaps), has been mocked and poked full of holes over the past couple of years. To me, the book was the single least-satisfying read I've had in recent memory. Gladwell's, The Tipping Point was good. Blink was OK. Outliers was terrible.  While reading it I kept thinking perhaps Gladwell should take a sabbatical. He's achieved great success making full-length books out of ideas that could just as easily have been explained in a couple of paragraphs.

Anyway, as usual, I digress. So here are my favorite books that I read in 2014. Again, these are not books that came out in 2014, but simply the books I found to be most interesting. There is not a top 10 or top 5 list. I'm just including the books I would recommend. While I read a lot of fiction, I am only putting one on the list for now (there are still a couple of weeks left in the year).

Non-Fiction

Everett Ruess: His Short Life, Mysterious Death, and Astonishing Afterlife, Philip L. Fradkin. This biography follows the early 20th century teenage explorer of the western US. Jon Krakauer wrote a bit about him in his book, Into The Wild. Everett Ruess, though, was certainly worth a full book (actually, there are several, and a few documentaries as well).

Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer. A book ostensibly about a murder in Utah, but much more a history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - the Mormons. It is deeply disturbing and illuminating at the same time. If you look back in this blog (or on my GoodReads.com page, you will find a much more in-depth review).

Waiter Rant, Anonymous. This is a fun read. Anthony Bourdain to us about the back of the house in Kitchen Confidential. Waiter Rant covers the front of the restaurant that interacts with customers. Great literature it ain't. But if you are looking for great stories and a quick read, this is the book you should grab next time you visit a library or bookstore.

Into The Wild, Jon Krakauer. We've all seen the movie and read countless articles about Christopher McCandless's wanderings that ultimately end with his tragic death in an abandoned bus in Alaska. But the book is better. Many people have written about how foolish McCandless was. But Krakauer makes a case that the boy was actually quite well-prepared and was, instead, the victim of a series of unfortunate events that likely would've befallen even more experienced outdoorsmen. Again, I have written extensively about this book in earlier postings and on GoodReads.

The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge, Jeremy Narby. I have probably written more about this book, and what led to my reading it, than anything posted here so far. Ultimately, the book is a fascinating attempt to prove the author's theory about the origin of knowledge and what we perceive to be real versus what others perceive to be just as real. I would recommend this book as the most interesting that I've read in the past couple of years. Don't let the title scare you off. It is a compelling read as well.

Masterminds and Wingmen, Rosalind Wiseman. I met with a book club in Boulder, CO in October. They had read my novel, RUN. The host of the club had also read Masterminds and Wingmen around the same time. So she discussed my novel partially in the context of Wiseman's book. I had a chance to read M&W, and immediately saw why the comparison was made. M&W is a handbook for anyone raising boys. I wrote about the book at length, so I won't go into it here, but in short, it is a fun and moving read. I have recommended it to many friends who have kids.

Rimbaud: The Double Life of a Rebel, Edmund White. As with several other books listed, I have written a review of this book on GoodReads. I chose the book because of its author, Edmund White, not its subject, Rimbaud. Neither disappointed me. I am not much of a poetry fan, but I was struck with the passion and bravery (in both style and subject matter) that Rimbaud exhibited over his very short writing career. White tells just enough of the poet's life to make this short biography a riveting read.

3 Cups of Deceit, Jon Krakauer. I guess this could be called my Year of Krakauer. Three of the four books of his I read this year made the list. You do not have to have read 3 Cups of Tea to enjoy this take down and dismantling of the best-selling piece of fiction that had been sold to us as fact. Krakauer deftly and succinctly (the book is very short) makes his case and sets the record straight for many people who weren't able to have the forum to clear their names and images after being portrayed in 3 Cups of Tea. A very good read.

Fiction

Disturbance, Jamie O'Neill. Disturbance is a very nuanced story narrated by a young man, Nilus, worried about major transitions in his life - his mother has died, and he and his father may lose their home. While this may sound somewhat mundane, the novel is anything but. O'Neill slowly builds the novel through the narrator's POV until a very clear picture develops about what is happening. The creep factor increases exponentially as the novel progresses. It is a brilliant work. I would highly recommend it to readers of contemporary fiction, horror, and mystery.
__________________________

So there you have it. My next post will be back to running. It will feature new photos of the Sports Pavilion Lawrence nature trails - a hilly treat to run. It will also have a review of a program designed to build core strength, balance and flexibility, as well as some listening suggestions for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment